The Indy List
I write a weekly column for Washington City Paper called The Indy List that features independent retail, artists, makers, and events in the D.C. area.
Everything Must Go
I wrote an investigative piece regarding the disappearing independent retail scene in D.C. It was a Washington City Paper cover story. You can read it here.
The Washington Post
The Post produces an annual Spring Cleaning Guide where experts suggest what people should toss from their lives. I explain why people should get rid of investment clothes.
I wrote a cover story for Washington City Paper about the intersection of the opioid epidemic and chronic pain.
Buy D.C. was a weekly column featuring local retailers around a central theme that I wrote and photographed for Washington City Paper from 2014-2017.
Holiday Shopping Guides
- Holiday Shopping Guide 2017 (cover story) here.
- The 2016 shopping guide came out following the election. D.C. voted 90.9% for Clinton and 4.1% for Trump, so it was an odd time for a shopping guide as a cover story. I wrote about the collision of retail and politics. You can read it here.
- Holiday Shopping Guide 2015 (cover story) here.
- Holiday Shopping Guide 2014 (cover story) here.
Best Of Washington, D.C. Retail
I frequently write about the best retail spaces and people in D.C. (partial list)
- Best Up-and-Coming Portrait Artist - Kenadi Johnson
- Best Place to Prep for a Bath - Take Care
- Best Locksmith - Golden Hands Locksmith
- Best Spot for a Luxe Men's Haircut - Wise Owl Club
- Best Place to Shop for Foodies - Hill's Kitchen
- Best Place to Stock Up on Wine for a Party - Cork Market
- Best Place to Get a Vintage Wedding Dress - PollySue's Vintage
- Best Place for Pet Lovers - The Cheeky Puppy
- Best Place to Make Sure Your Eyebrows are On Fleek - Fyubi Makeup
- Best Indie Bookstore - East City Bookshop
- Best Place to Get a Suit Education - Ezra Paul Clothing
- Best Place to Rent a Tux - Geoffrey Lewis
Fashion / Relationship Columnist
I wrote a fashion and relationship column for the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy for two years. (partial list)
- 5 Ways Your Dating Life May Be Driving Your Friends Crazy
- The Ex Files: Are There New Rules of Engagement?
- Why Victoria's Secret Should Be Your Secret Too
- Public Parting: How Social Media Has Changed Breakups
Other fun stuff
- I've written book reviews for Elle magazine. You can find one here and here.
- Here's an article I wrote for The Write Life about the Dear David ghost story.
- I was the D.C. editor for Shoestring Magazine. Read about dyeing clothes here, return policies for beauty products here, and floral arranging on a budget here.
- I love writing about makers. Here's a guide I wrote for a D.C.-based craft show, Crafty Bastards.
- Here are some links from The Good Men Project - "5 Best Relationship Podcasts," and, "That Time When it Took a Law to Get Me to do the Right Thing"
- Here's how I stumbled my way into a solution, "A Smarter Way to Manage Pick Your Brain Requests" for the Write Life.