The Indy List
I write a weekly column for Washington City Paper called The Indy List that features independent retail, artists, makers, and events in the D.C. area.
Everything Must Go
I wrote an investigative piece regarding the disappearing independent retail scene in D.C. It was a Washington City Paper cover story. You can read it here.
Buy D.C. was a weekly column featuring local retailers around a central theme that I wrote and photographed for Washington City Paper from 2014-2017.
Holiday Shopping Guides
- The 2016 shopping guide came out following the election. D.C. voted 90.9% for Clinton and 4.1% for Trump, so it was an odd time for a shopping guide as a cover story. I wrote about the collision of retail and politics. You can read it here.
- Holiday Shopping Guide 2015 (cover story) here.
- Holiday Shopping Guide 2014 (cover story) here.
Best Of Washington, D.C. Retail
I frequently write about the best retail spaces in Washington, D.C. (partial list)
- Best Spot for a Luxe Men's Haircut - Wise Owl Club
- Best Place to Shop for Foodies - Hill's Kitchen
- Best Place to Stock Up on Wine for a Party - Cork Market
- Best Place to Get a Vintage Wedding Dress - PollySue's Vintage
- Best Place for Pet Lovers - The Cheeky Puppy
- Best Place to Make Sure Your Eyebrows are On Fleek - Fyubi Makeup
- Best Indie Bookstore - East City Bookshop
- Best Place to Get a Suit Education - Ezra Paul Clothing
- Best Place to Rent a Tux - Geoffrey Lewis
Fashion / Relationship Columnist
I wrote a fashion and relationship column for the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy for two years. (partial list)
Other fun stuff
- I've written book reviews for Elle magazine. You can find one here and here.
- I was the D.C. editor for Shoestring Magazine. Read about dyeing clothes here, return policies for beauty products here, and floral arranging on a budget here.
- I love writing about makers. Here's a guide I wrote for a D.C.-based craft show, Crafty Bastards.
- Here are some links from The Good Men Project - "5 Best Relationship Podcasts," and, "That Time When it Took a Law to Get Me to do the Right Thing"
- Here's how I stumbled my way into a solution, "A Smarter Way to Manage Pick Your Brain Requests" for the Write Life.
My favorite nonprofit writing projects:
- Writing and project managing the Accessibility Guide for the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- Writing the official guide to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Opening. Some of it is here.
- Collective Action for Safe Spaces is an amazing organization. I wrote about an experience with street harassment for their website in an article called, "Aziz Ansari Helped Me with a Street Harasser."