DIY Lace & Denim Vest! Earlier this summer I went to Anthropologie and noticed a denim vest with lace on the back. I thought it was sooooo cute, but didn't want to pay $118 for it. Especially when I was eager to make the vest myself! I was curious to see if I could produce a version of the idea that was tweaked to my personal style.
This project was so. much. fun. Here's how it was done!
First, I needed the basics - a good base for the vest and some lace!
I went to the thrift store and found a denim jacket and a lace dress.
The jacket was $4 and the dress was $2. Even better - I think the jacket was brand new because it still had extra buttons attached!
As a side note - the dress looks pretty in this picture, but it was stained and falling apart. It was the perfect piece to recycle into something new. Also, I made sure to wash both pieces before getting started.
Next, I took the sleeves off of the jacket to turn it into a vest. Have you ever cut into jean? It is so satisfying!
I made sure to cut it right before the stitching for the arm. That way the whole thing wouldn't unravel! I am completely fine with it looking a bit frayed before the hem - I actually prefer this look because it gives it a bit of character.
Next thing was to get the lace prepped!
I cut the lace away from the lining so I would have a large piece to work with.
Then, I cut a square out of the back of the denim vest.
I decided to have the piece of lace entirely on the outside of the jacket (rather than just sew it on the inside and have it peek through the square). One reason I was drawn to the Anthropologie vest was because of the texture outside of the denim.
Here's where I made a mistake, though. I did a simple stitch on the inside of the jacket to tack the lace in place. BUT, I did stitching that was even all along the inside. So, it looked like this:
When I turned it around, though, the stitching went through the roses and didn't look so great.
So, I pulled all the stitching out and tried again. I learned that when the stitching went through the netting versus the actual roses the final product looked a lot cleaner.
I flipped the vest to the outside and cut the lace so I would keep some of the roses.
Finally, I cleaned around the edges a bit. Then, I placed 1 small stitch in the 2 bottom / side / top roses. This was to keep all of the lace in place.
Here is the final product!
From the front -
And, from the back:
I loved, loved, loved this project. It took me a couple of hours (mostly because I didn't know what I was doing and was making it up as I went along). But, now that I have a process, I could probably knock it out in about 45 minutes.
If you have any sewing skills whatsoever I bet you could figure out a more sophisticated way of making this vest! My sewing skills are enough to string things together, but that's about it! If you know of a way to improve upon this idea, please feel free to comment below!
This project would be great for a tween / teen, too. If you have one in your life and would like to do something artsy-craftsy this would be a fun activity to work on together.
This vest was originally $118 (as of today, it's on sale for $60), but I made it for $6. Totally worth it!